Why have I developed a pain in my left arm?

I weight train every other day and do cardio on the off days. Lately I have developed a pain in my left arm when I twist my wrist or extend my fingers apart. combining the two makes the pain worse. What is this and how do I heal the issue.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Pain in the left on twisting movement of the wrist and on extending the fingers may occur probably be due to inflammation of the tendons or nerve inflammation caused by stress.

Diagnosis can vary from bursitis and tennis elbow. Exact diagnosis can be made only after proper examination by an orthopaedician. So I suggest you to consult one.

In the meanwhile, for symptomatic relief:
1. Give enough rest to your hand muscle.
2. Take mild pain killers like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.
3. Stronger prescription NSAIDS with muscle relaxants may help if simple analgesics do not help.
4. Hot compresses to your arm and elbow will be useful pain relieving measure. You may apply a local analgesic gel on that area.
5. Wrist and forearm stretches can be helpful under the guidance of a physiotherapist.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.