Why have I been prescribed Mifegest?

i want consult a gynaecologist about my wifes pregancy...last week my wife under went a scan and the report read that she is 6 weeks and 5 days pregnent. yesterday my told me that she saw a spot of blood in her undergarment and hence we decided to see the doctor today. Doctor advised us to take scan and the scan report read hear beat of fetal not apperciated. So the doctor had prescribed Mifegest and Cytolog. The thing i dont understand is that why she prescribed Mifegest as i understand taking that kills the fetus. Now in this case the scan anyways says that the fetus is not live then why the doctor has prescribed Mifegest.
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 33 minutes later

Fetal heart beat should be seen by Doppler or trans-vaginal ultrasound by 5-6 weeks.If there is no heart beat that means that the fetus has stopped developing.This means that the pregnancy is abnormal and has to be terminated.Your doctor has prescribed mifegest to induce a medical abortion so that the rest of the products of conception can be removed from the body.

Follow-up: Why have I been prescribed Mifegest? 9 hours later
Thank you doctor....our 6 weeks scan was sound and good. Yesterday when we took the scan the doctor told she cant see the fetal pol but our previous week the scan performed detected fetal pol and heart beat. How is that in the recent scan the doctor is unable to see the fetal pol. What does it mean? and how come did the fetal pol disseapear
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 7 hours later

Well,the fetal pole can be present with or without the fetal hearbeat.The fetal pole is detected between 5 1/2 -6 weeks.The heart beat can be appreciated from 6-7 weeks.The fetal pole,if it was correctly seen in the previous scan,cannot disappear completely but it can decrease in size,if the fetus stops developing.
If there was no heart beat,then the fetus did stop developing at a certain point.

I cannot comment why your doctor didnt see the fetal pole in the recent scan.It could be observer error or there could be error in the previous report.

If you are not satisfied, repeat the Ultrasound scan just for your peace of mind and confirm the real features.

Follow-up: Why have I been prescribed Mifegest? 16 hours later
Thank you for your reply.
Please also advice on this - Doctor has prescribed Mifegest 200 Mg which was taken on saturday (28th May 2011) and today 30th May 2011 doctor has asked to take cytolog 200 MG, 4 tablets which was asked to be inserted in the vagina. Please let us know when do we get to know that the abortion process is completed / how the flow will be? will it be in one shot or continous for few days? also after taking the vaginal tablets the flow begun but after 45 mts or so in the flow may be couple of tablets were seen in the flow. Is it ok?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 29 minutes later

Well,the induced abortion will start few hours after the mifegest.The bleeding will continue for a few days.There may be passage of clots, etc.The flow may be like a period or heavier.Use the cytolog as directed by your doctor.Ask your wife you lay down for a while after insertion of the tabs so that it dissolves.Dont overdose.