Why has Salicyamide been removed from some pain medications such as "BC" powder ?

why has Salicyamide been removed from some pain medications such as "BC" powder ?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

BC powder used to contain aspirin , caffeine and salicylamide out of which salicylamide was removed from it in 2009.

It was done because of pharmacokinetic incompatibility between aspirin and salicylamide. It was found that salicylamide increases the concentration of active metabolites of aspirin by six times as compared to plain aspirin when given together thus increasing the risk of bleeding disorders and gastric ulceration by six times.

It could cause aspirin toxicity.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Why has Salicyamide been removed from some pain medications such as "BC" powder ? 49 minutes later
Hi Dr. Rakhin Tayal,

Thanks for the answer to my queston concering the removal of salicylamide from some pain medications.

The formualtion of the "BC" branded pain relief that contained 650mg Asprin, 33mg Caffeine and 195mg salicylamide worked really well for me when I needed to get relief from headaches. It was fast and effective. I do not want to put my health at risk but this formulation worked so well and others brands and types of relief medications I have taken are not as effective. I have not experianced any of the symptoms you noted as side effects. Is there any other combination that works similar ? or is it avalible from other suppliers ? I am not asking you to recommend a perticular supplier just some similar medication.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

The combination of aspirin and salicylamide has been banned.

So there is no other similar medication.

You can use dispersible disprin two tablets after dissolving in water for similar effect.
Or you can also use Anadin extra.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.