Why every time I blow my nose it feels like my heart expands?

Hello- I am currently suffering from a head cold. I have a cough but no chest congestion. I'm wondering why every time I blow my nose if feels like my heart expands. Like a balloon filing with air. Doesn't hurt just feels weird. Thank you
Posted Thu, 20 Mar 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. T Shobha Deepak 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It's due to raised intra thoracic pressure Detailed Answer: Hi Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear Ms XXXXX Blowing of nose ( blocked nose) is equivalent to doing a valsalva Maneuver. This causes rise in intra thoracic pressure. This is responsible for the typical ballon filling like sensation you are experiencing due to raised intra thoracic pressure. Taking Steam inhalation 15 minutes each session twice a day will be helpful. There is no cause for concern. Rest be assured everything is alright. Take care Best Regards Dr T Shobha Deepak MBBS, MD