Why does vein behind hand hurts to touch?

General Surgeon
Hi I wanted to ask why does my vein behind my hand hurt to touch?
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 15 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

In most cases when the vein hurts and gets hard, and the arm gets swallowed the reason is thromboflebitis. It is the vein inflammation caused by thrombus. So if your arm is swollen and hurts when touched you should have Doppler ultrasound of this area and fool blood work to see for the signs of the inflammation. Such condition should be treated in the hospital with anticoagulants.
There is also a possibility that what you consider as a vein is a strangled muscle. Especially if there was some stretching related trauma of this area.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.