Why does trazadone make difficulty in walking?

Why does trazadone make me walk like im drunk? Ie i hit walls and cant walk straight. Is that a common side effect? No other sleep aid does that to me
Posted Sun, 5 Jan 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer: Trazodone causes these effects Detailed Answer: Dear Friend Trazadone is an anti depressant , and is well known to cause dizziness , Blurred vision. Many people also complain of Gait disturbances with it. So it seems that his drug is causing you these symptoms. Make sure , you are not taking high doses of Trazadone , that causes these side effects more severely. Trazodone should always be initiated at a low dose and increased gradually, based on clinical response and tolerance to side effects. I recommended starting dose of maximum 150 mg once daily. If you continue to have these side effects , you may consult your doctor for the substitute. If i have such patients , and i have prescribed trazodone for depression , i switch them to SSRI group of drugs like Fluoxetine , which are better tolerated. I hope i am able to solve your query , still if you have any query , do ask me , and if your query is solved , please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.
Follow-up: Why does trazadone make difficulty in walking? 1 hour later
if I keep taking it will these side effects lessen?
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 8 minutes later
Brief Answer: Tolerance will develop over time. Detailed Answer: Dear Friend. If you will continue the medication , you may develop the tolerance to these side effects. But since these side effects may be XXXXXXX while driving , handling a machine or walking on a running road , I personally prefer to change the medication. So discuss with your doctor for substituting it with SSRI group of drugs which I mentioned. I am sure he will agree to my opinion and will consider substituting trazodone. If you don't have any further query , you may please close the discussion and rate it. Stay Healthy.
Follow-up: Why does trazadone make difficulty in walking? 40 minutes later
I think it is ok because I am taking it at night, its worn off by morning
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 9 hours later
Brief Answer: you may continue Detailed Answer: If you are taking it in night and by the morning the side effects are gone , it's acceptable to continue it , if you are being benefited. You may now close the discussion , if you don't have any further query. If you still have a query I am here to solve it.