Why does the neck and scapula hurt bad while taking deep breath?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i have neck pain and bad pain in the scapula on the left side that hurts really bad when i TAKE A DEEP BREATHE, WHat is wrong with me? it has been this way for about 1 1/2 days. i hope you don't chsrge for this since i am on medi-cal. YYYY@YYYY should i be concerned because it hurts to take a breath in the scapula area? I also can't raise my right area weithout discomfort. Also for your info i am not a baby when it comes to pain so this takes a lot for me to contact you, and my kids want me to go to the hospital, which i only do as a last resort. XXXX
Posted Sat, 21 Dec 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 20 minutes later
Brief Answer: You can start muscle relaxant and if not recovered Detailed Answer: Hello, I have studied your case. Pain in scapular region on deep breathing can be due to compression of scapular division nerve. You can start muscle relaxant and if not recovered then you may need further investigation. I will advise you to do MRI cervical spine again to see present status of nerve compression. As you are already on morphine pump no need for more medication but you can increase dose. For these symptoms neurotropic medication can be started. Till time, avoid lifting weights, Sit with support to back. You can consult physiotherapist for help. Physiotherapy like ultrasound and interferential therapy will give quick relief. I will advise to check your vit B12 and vit D3 level. If nerve compression becomes severe later on then second surgical decompression will give permanent relief. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care.