Why does the ankle get swollen and BP lowered?

for the past 5 weeks i have had one or the other ankle hot itchy swollen i am 51, female , not it menopause yet, still having regular periods, does not hurt to walk at all on my feet, mostly in ankle or right below or above ankle bone...I have low blood pressure and do not take any meds
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

The common causes for joint pains in the lower limb in people of your age could be over weight , friction in the joints due to damaged cartilage ( fibrous plate in the joint between two bones ), Arthritis and gout.

I would ask you to get some tests which can differentiate amongst these causes and give a specific diagnosis so that treatment for the same can be started rather than giving regular pain killers which do have side effects of their own.

The recommended tests would be a Xray of the joints involved, CRP,RAfactor and serum uric acid levels.These tests will give a clear insight into the cause of the pains.Consult a Orthopedician with the above test reports he shall advice you specific treatment.

Meanwhile to get relief from the pain and halt the disease process i would ask you to apply DICLOFENAC gel twice daily and apply CREPE bandage or a ankle brace for mild immobilization.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.
Follow-up: Why does the ankle get swollen and BP lowered? 8 minutes later
I am 5'9" and 145 lbs not overweight. I am on vacation for another week and cannot go to a doc. What can i do for now...ibuprofin and Ice? Should i stop eating certain foods that cause inflamation...any suggestions?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 minutes later
Hi again,

Ok, you can take Tab Ibuprofen 400mg twice after food for temporary relief also apply diclofenac gel over the affected area.

I do not think there is need for any food restriction other than spicy foods as ibuprofen can cause acidity and the condition can be worsened by spicy and hot foods.