Why does sinus problem erupts in morning? Pseudephedrine alleviates pressure?

I forgot to ask why the sinus problem usually erupts in the morning, and why one dose of pseudephedrine alleviates the pressure. Thanks.
Posted Sun, 16 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 8 days later
Hello and welcome to XXXXXXX

Thank you once again for writing to us.

We at XXXXXXX apologize for the delay.

Now coming to your query. The reason why the sinus problem usually erupts in the morning is because in a sinus condition are usually related to positional changes. There is excess mucus building up in all through the night due to the position we sleep in and also, as we are not able to help in expelling the same as we are asleep. This causes a clogging/blockage in the passageways, which we wake up to, and experience symptoms almost immediately. As we continue to promote clearing of these passages through the day, it improves. But, the symptoms are maximum in the mornings.

Pseudoephedrine is a nasal decongestant, and so it helps in clearing the nasal and sinus congestion, which has formed overnight. This is how it alleviates the pressure.

I hope I have succeeded in explaining this in the best possible way. Please feel free to write back to me if there is anything unclear or if you have anymore clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes