Why does one gain weight with a leaky heart valve?

Posted Thu, 6 Sep 2012 in Valvular Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 38 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist and I read your question with diligence.
One gains weight as result of ONLY if leaky valve leads to congestive heart failure. In absence of congestive heart failure the usual cause(s) of weight gain that is mismatch between calorie intake and exercise apply.
Cause of weight gain in presence of congestive heart failure is as follows:
1. Due to leakage of any valve there is increase in volume of the blood in the chambers of the heart.
2. Heart has to push greater volume with greater force.
3. That increases the filling pressure of lower chamber(s) that is ventricle(s).
4. Upper chambers that is left and right atria have to push hard for they are the filling chambers.
5. There is increase in pressure of filling chambers.
6. There is build of pressures in the veins draining into atria. Pulmonary veins(from lungs) drain into left atrium and veins from body vena cava drain into right atrium.
7. Fluid shifts from intra vascular space to extravascular space because of increase in pressure of veins.
8. This fluid is responsible for increase in weight which is reduced by giving patient drugs which produce urine that is diuretics.

Even in early stages that is stage 6, would mean increase in pulmonary venous pressure. This is responsible for person becoming short of breath even on mild exertion. Leads to sedentary life style and thus less burning of calories and increase in weight.

There are no other mechanism by which a person can gain weight because of leaky valve. I hope this answers your question. If you have a followup query please ask I will be happy to answer.

With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW