Why does my vagina smell like a fart?

my vagina smells like a fart help?!
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 6 minutes later
Hello and welcome to HealthCare Magic,

I would be happy to help you with your question today. So you are describing a foul smell from the vagina. Assuming that this is the result of a common vaginal infection, the most likely cause is something called bacterial vaginosis (BV). It is caused by an overgrowth of anaerobic bacteria that cause an odor. The treatment is called metronidazole (or metrogel which is a cream that you place in the vagina twice daily for 5 days). I am certain that whatever the cause, this medication will probably do you some good.

Less clear from your statement is whether something more complicated is going on. If there is "stool" in the vagina, or gas in the vagina, this can be the result of a connection (or fistula) that is communicating between the rectum and vagina. This is usually only present in the setting of a prior childbirth experience with a bad tear.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have additional questions. Good luck!

Dr. Tim