Why does my throat get drier right after drinking water?

ENT Specialist
Why does my throat get drier right after drinking water? It sometimes is so dry, I feel like I cannot swallow the next drink of water. Sometimes I get a dry cough. I have been drinking at least 64 oz of water a day for the last 10 years but this just started about 6 months ago.
Posted Thu, 22 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 7 hours later

Thanks for the query

The symptoms you have described could be due to either of the two conditions, diabetes mellitus (DM) or laryngopharyngeal reflux (LPR) secondary to gastro-esophaegal reflux disease (GERD)

The classic symptoms of untreated DM are loss of weight, polyuria (frequent urination), polydipsia (increased thirst) and polyphagia (increased hunger).

GERD or acid reflux, is a condition in which the liquid content of the stomach backs up or refluxes into the esophagus. The liquid that enters the esophagus (regurgitation) can damage the lining of the esophagus although visible signs of inflammation occur in a minority of patients. The regurgitated liquid usually contains acid that is produced by the stomach.

The reflux usually happens more in the night while lying down in supine position. Acid when it regurgitates from the stomach into the esophagus and into the throat, the mucosa of the throat gets burnt leading to inflammation of the throat. Inflammation of the mucosa in turn induces mucosal swelling, giving rise to foreign body sensation, dry cough, repeated swallowing, excessive collection of phlegm (to soothe the inflamed area), etc.

A thorough throat examination and a battery of tests (blood sugar, glycosylated haemoglobin, and thyroid function tests) are required to pin point the actual cause of the problem.

Meanwhile you can follow the below advice:
1. Avoid smoking/coffee/alcohol/chilled beverages if any.
2. Try taking multivitamins to help in re-vitalizing the tissues of the throat.
3. Consult your doctor for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the following queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon