Why does my stool have a sweet smell?

Question
I'm a 43 year old female, for the past few months, my stool has had a very strange, very sweet smell - no matter what I eat - whether it's fruit, vegetables and fiber and vegetarian or meats and fats - my diet can vary very much. Also, stool will be very soft and an excessive amount ...
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 1 hour later

The cause of sweet smell of your stools associated with softness and being bulky would be due to undigested sugars.

Lactose could be one of the main sugars responsible for this.

Lactose is a disaccharide.

It is a combination of glucose and galactose.

Enzyme deficiency in degradation of this sugar would result in accumulation of lactose in intestine.

It's absorption is hampered since it is not degraded to its individual components which include glucose and galactose.

This sort of unusual accumulation results in peculiar smell and bulky faeces.

I would suggest you to consult a medical gastroenterologist and get investigated.

Since it occured with all kinds of food it cannot be suggested at this point to exclude one variety in your diet.

Your problem needs detailed evaluation.

Hope I have answered your query.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.