Why does my son have a purple rash that suddenly showed up on his knee ?

My son is 9 yrs. old., normal height and weight. A purple non-blanching rash showed up on his leg, above his knee. Basic bloodwork came back OK. Although this looks VERY much like a rash, could it possibly be a bruise? I have a picture I could forward if you'd like. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 27 minutes later
Hello and thank you for your query.

It is very likely that this is something quite benign.

I would still like to take a closer look at the actual area in question.

If you could take some good pictures and forward them to my attention at YYYY@YYYY I would be happy to analyze them closely and give you my interpretation.

In the meantime tell me a few things as well :

Is the area painful to touch?
Is it warm to touch?
Is there any associated itching?
Are there any other skin changes on his body?

Thank you again for turning to us for reliable medical advice.

I look forward to receiving your followup information and photos.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Why does my son have a purple rash that suddenly showed up on his knee ? 22 hours later
I responded to your reply and included a picture. I just wondered if you've received my follow-up email? I wasn't sure if I sent it to the correct email address. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later

I have not received the mail from you yet. Please send it to my attention at doctor@ WWW.WWWW.WW

I look forward to hearing from you.
Dr. Galamaga.
Follow-up: Why does my son have a purple rash that suddenly showed up on his knee ? 41 hours later
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 0 minute later

Thanks for forwarding the image. It does not look like a worrisome thing to me. The only thing I would say is to pay attention to the more reddish areas on the skin. It looks slightly inflamed in those areas. It will likely continue to fade but if it does not, develops into larger areas of redness with pain, itching or drainage then I would bring him back to the doctor. I am very confident, however, that this will slowly but surely resolve over the next 7 to 10 days.

Thank you again for submitting your query. I hope my answers have been helpful and we look forward to caring for your medical concerns should you have any in the future.

With regards,