Why does my son get pain in his leg starting in his upper thigh when he walks?

my 19 year old son has been complaining of leg pain especially while working on feet all day. He says his leg becomes hot and painful to walk on. The pain starts in his upper thigh /groin area. He is 6 ft tall 140 lbs and in generally good health. He does have a slight heart murmer that was diagnosed during a sports medicine check up.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 54 minutes later

For the leg pain that develops after standing all day, venous insufficiency needs to be ruled out.

Secondly leg pain that show up during physical activity, such as walking, are usually a sign of arterial insufficiency (peripheral artery disease). That means the arteries aren't able to supply the calf muscles with enough blood and oxygen to XXXXXXX their needs.

The pain from PAD is brought on by exercise, and relieved by rest. The limping that occurs from the leg pain is called claudication.

I strongly advise you an evaluation by a physician for your son. Intermittent claudication is a relatively benign and manageable condition, but people with more advanced arterial insufficiency can experience rest pain also.

Moreover it has to be differentiated from other causes of such symptoms like low amounts of potassium, sodium, calcium,iron or magnesium in the blood, muscle fatigue or strain from overuse, tendonitis, nerve damage, Benign tumors or cysts of the femur or tibia and Osgood-Schlatter disease.

He needs certain investigations like MRI scan, colour Doppler of the vessels of the legs and an ultrasound legs.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.