Why does my heart race when I am eating?

I am 65 yrs old, 5' 4" tall, and weigh 250 and wondering why my heart races sometimes when I am eating ? I have begun exercising each day by walking 1/2 mile. The only medicine I take is hydrochlorot 12.5mg a day.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

The increase in heart rate is considered to be normal after you eat something as the body has to work to digest the food, and also due to sympathetic stimulation of the heart when the food passes through the food pipe.

I would like you to monitor the changes by Holter cardiography or by noting down it in a dairy regarding your heart rates in an hourly interval.

The only thing to be concerned is extreme changes in the heart rate. If this is found then it would be better to see a cardiologist as further investigations might be required to rule out any cardiac abnormality like Supraventicular tachycardia or Atrial fibrillation and has to be treated accordingly.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.