Why does my face swell when I drink 2 glasses of water, lie down or exercise ?

Following is my problem

1. If I lie down OR drink 2 glass of water or do 30 min excercise my face swells
2. Recently I took turmeric and before doing any of the above activity then nothing happens

Also when my face swells my eye also gets affected little bit and even ear.
My BP is normal.

But somehow I feel some blood vessel at center of forehead and temporal side
might have blocked and causing above problem please advice
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 3 hours later

You mentioned that your face swells up whenever you take two glasses of water or lying down and on doing exercise.

Swelling of face in your case is most likley due to distension of veins.

Such venous distension can occur due to blockage of venous return of the face. It is not common in your age group to have such a condition.

You mentioned that you had sinus surgery.

There are venous channels inside our brain and around the neck which if not functioning properly, lead to facial swelling.

Sometimes, it is normal to have engorgement of the veins after exercise.

Therefore, a proper examination when you have such symptoms will help us know the exact cause of your problem.

Get a routine urine investigation done to rule out any renal pathology.

With respect to investigations, you should get a Doppler of The XXXXXXX jugular veins and MR Angiogram of the Cavernous Sinuses. These are the main veins which drain blood from face and neck.

Please send some picture if you develop major swelling so that I can have a look at them and give a specific advice.

As of now, do consult a Physician when you have swelling for a detailed examination.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for your follow up queries.

Also you can send me the picture of the lesion at YYYY@YYYY saying ATTN: Dr.Kiran Kumar.

Thanks and Regards,
Follow-up: Why does my face swell when I drink 2 glasses of water, lie down or exercise ? 2 days later

I always have throat infection.
Day before yesterday I am taking septiline ( himalaya medicine )
I see all the problem which I mention are not happening.

Could it be related to throat problem ?

Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 17 hours later

Throat Infection usually does not lead to such symptoms which you have been having.
Its likely to be a coincidence that such a thing is happening.

Yes, some people get allergic reactions following a minor throat infection where, there can be swelling of face. However, such symptoms are quite dramatic and will not subside by itself.

Be reassured.
You can continue taking septiline.
Hope this answers your query.

Take Care

Dr Kiran