Why does my ear canals itch?

I have itching in some of my ear canals , i have it associated with a white scaly substance that builds to flaky. i thought that it is related to some skin problem.
Posted Wed, 5 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Seborrheic eczema of ear canals, antifungals Detailed Answer: Hi I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same. From the description ,it looks like you are suffering from seborrheic dermatitis which is basically dandruff of the skin. Other than the scalp ,areas around and inside the ear are very commonly affected by seborrheic eczema. Also such a presentation of this eczema is quite common in elderly patients. You need to apply a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected areas twice a day. In addition you can take some oral antihistamine like claritin for the associated itching. Also try to use an anti dandruff shampoo twice a week. I am sure this treatment should benefit you. If however there is not complete relief , then you might need a course of oral antifungal tablets along since this eczema is basically caused by overgrowth of a specific skin fungus. Hope it helps Please ask if you need any further clarifications Dr Geetika Paul