Why does my child has red bump inside her mouth?

my newborn is 3 weeks and she has a little red bump inside her mouth what should i do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 14 minutes later
A small red bump inside the mouth in a new born is rarely a medical issue and usually it is due to a mucosal malformation. It may remain like that without any growth or producing any problem for the baby.
If there is associated pain and irritation and baby cries on touching it then it could possibly be an inflamed papilla. Other possibilities are oral lichen planus and herpangina - though the possibility is rare in a three week old.
You can self monitor the swelling for the appearance of any pain or discharge or any ulcer in that area in which case an examination by pediatrician is needed for diagnosis. If there are no ominous symptoms then you can mention this to your pediatrician on your next visit there.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Why does my child has red bump inside her mouth? 15 minutes later
so is this normal for her or should i take her to see a pediatrician? im a new mom so im not really sure what to do.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
This is just a normal finding . You need not rush to her pediatrician now. Just mention this to him whenever you go for your routine visit.