Why does my child cry if I do not hold him?

General Surgeon
my child refuses to get off my lap even to eat, he is constantly at my hip. he recently stayed at his grandmas for a few weeks he was not AS clingy before he left now that he is back he will not let me use the restroom shower or sit down, when i do get to sit down he insists on being on my lap and refuses to get off with out crying. the only way to get him to not cry is to hold him. he used to play with his toys now he wont touch them unless i am. i feel like he has lost all independence him being a "moms boy" like this it is effecting the household as well as my daily living rutiene. it never used to be like this what can i do?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Parenting
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 1 hour later
     It is behavioral disturbance ,not any organic illness ,as child needs love & tender care & personalized attention. As he has not got such love & tender care for some time that has made him insecure and now he try to sticks to you .Children feel happy among children and tries to imbibes them .So try to provide him some children company .Give him in hands those give him tender ,loving care ,these habits will disappear.It is good you thought of it at an early stage.Don't let him become moms boy`, as you have your own life & preferences .Little concentration & giving the child chance to play among other babies will help you.

Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Why does my child cry if I do not hold him? 17 hours later
What kind of excersizes i should do with him?
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 7 hours later

Try to let baby play with other children of same age group.

In your presence ,promote/encourage baby be friendly to other babies & your friends & relatives.
Outing is also essential for baby to see others as it also prompts/encourage baby to play.
Ensure he is well fed & have proper sleep.

Hope I have answered your query.