Why does my blood pressure vary between morning and afternoon?

Jan 2013

Why does my blood pressure go from 158/97 in the mornings to 117/78 in the afternoon
Posted Tue, 11 Sep 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 17 minutes later
Diurnal variation in blood pressure is physiological phenomenon.
Blood pressure has a daily pattern. Blood pressure is normally lower at night while you're sleeping. Your blood pressure starts to rise a few hours before you wake up. Your blood pressure continues to rise during the day, usually peaking in the middle of the afternoon. Then in the late afternoon and evening, your blood pressure begins dropping again.
Blood pressure rises sharply in the morning in response to the activation of the sympathetic nervous system when one arises.The activity of the sympathetic nervous system is quiescent during sleep, whereas awakening selectively increases epinephrine levels.
As you have mentioned that you have history of stroke in may 2012 and your blood pressure 158/97 mm Hg indicates raised blood pressure.
so are you taking any medication for lowering blood pressure or you have normal blood pressure?
Please give details.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Why does my blood pressure vary between morning and afternoon? 42 minutes later
I am not currently taking anything for the hypertension, up to a week ago I was suffering with postural hypotension and was taking fludracortisone. I stopped this medication 5 days ago when my BP went up and it now fluctuates between being too high and on the low side. It still falls when I stand. I have also recently been diagnosed as having a hole in my heart which it is believed was responsible for my stroke
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 13 minutes later
If there is any thrombus formation around hole in heart then there is possibility of getting stroke.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava