Why does my bald head have a shade of lighted gray on head? What can I do? Shave balding part as well?

Hi - I have shaved my head for years, and my balding spot is a shade lighter than the "cylinder" of my head where I must shave everyday (either do to the constant cutting of the head from shaving, or the hair follicles under the skin) . I would really love my head to be one tone, but do not know how to address. What can I do? Skin lightening creams on the "cylinder" portion? Start shaving the "balding" spot as well to darken its color?
Posted Thu, 21 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 20 hours later

From your history it seems that you are worried about the colour mismatch on your scalp.

Now the areas where the hair follicles are existing has a greenish to blackish tinge and also the skin here because of the hair follicles acting as a barrier prevents excessive damage to the skin.
The skin which has gone bald is exposed to sun without protection and as a result is more prone to pigmentation.

A mismatch in the similar fashion is seen in the beard area.

Lightening cream is not recommended as the sun factor is always there and you can’t remove the follicles on the hairy area.

Is it possible for you to send a picture of the affected area and the comparison area, if you can?

If yes, please utilize the feature to upload the reports / image at the right side of the query page so that I can answer your queries better.

Hope you would be satisfied with the reply.

Feel free to send a follow up query, if you have further questions.

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Why does my bald head have a shade of lighted gray on head? What can I do? Shave balding part as well? 4 hours later
Dr. Batra,

I have uploaded a picture of my scalp. I think we are talking about something a bit different. I am not typically exposed to the sun and do use sunscreen when I am. What I am referring to is seen in the picture. You can see that the top part of my head is lighter, because i do not shave that part given there is no hair for me to shave. The lower parts of my head are darker because there is hair there, and also there is some discoloration from shaving. My goal is to make the bottom part of my head lighter to match the rest of my skin tone (on the top of my head and neck as you can see from the pictures)

Thanks for your follow up query.

The picture sent by you is (though not clear enough); there is no disease condition that is visible.
Area without hair is always smooth, shiny and hence the color is different from the hairy area.

You can experience the same in other individuals at public places.

Dr.Rohit Batra