Why does it take time for casting of radial fracture?

I have an impacted radial fracture. I broke it on Thursday. The doc said according to x-rays, I can't have it casted until Friday. Why? I have an appointment with another doc tomorrow.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Follow-up: Why does it take time for casting of radial fracture? 3 minutes later
I need full use of my hand for my job. When can I expect to get it back? Will smoking slow my healing?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 33 minutes later
Hi Elinor,

Thanks for your query,

No, it should have a plaster cast as soon as possible. If the bones are strong enough nails should be used to fix it early. Because of osteoporosis sometimes the nailing cannot be done.
Expect proper recovery in at least 6 weeks. It may be slow because of your osteoporosis. Physiotherapy will hasten the recovery process.
Smoking slows healing. So kindly avoid it.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them
Follow-up: Why does it take time for casting of radial fracture? 5 hours later
They put it in a splint at th ER and say it's too swollen to put in a cast, but how can thet tell that only from an X-ray?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 2 hours later
Hi Elinor,

Thanks for writing back

The swelling can be judged from an X-ray as a soft-tissue collection. Also ii can be judged by seeing it physically.An examination and palpation would also give additional clue.

However till the impacted fracture is reduced the swelling will not reduce.

Wish you good health