Why does hyperparathyroidism cause GERD?

Why does hyperparathyroidism cause GERD
Posted Sat, 14 Sep 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Increased blood calcium is the cause

Detailed Answer:

Increased parathyroid hormone induces increased resorption of calcium from bones and increases the blood calcium levels.

The increased calcium levels in the blood stimulate increased stomach acid (hydrochloric acid) production leading to GERD.

Hope, I answered your query.

Follow-up: Why does hyperparathyroidism cause GERD? 25 minutes later
I have been diagnosed with mild primary hyperparathyroidism - the symptoms don't feel mild and they are adversely affecting my life. Can palpitations be part of the symptoms as I have been experiencing regular palpitations and is it linked to colon cancer . I have been to a cardiologist and my heart is fine except that I have an extra heartbeat on occasion which is when I can feel the palpitations. They just say it's not life threatening - not very comforting... I am also experiencing progressive problems with my memory and inability to concentrate. My colon cancer is not genetic - that has been tested. I have had high parathyroid hormone levels for at least two years prior to the discovery of my colon cancer - caecal - which had been there for at least three years prior to diagnosis. My cancer was diagnosed in April 2010 and I had surgery. 33 lymph nodes were removed and only 2 microscopic cancer cells were identified but the cancer was Staged at 3. My GI surgeon also diagnosed GERD at the time of the colon cancer diagnosis. I underwent 6 months chemo. I have also heard that skin cancer is related to hyperparathyroidism. Is this correct? I am very fair skinned - Scottish origin - and have quite some time in my childhood in the sun in Malaysia, until I was nine. I came to Aus in 2005 but stay out of the sun as much as possible. I have just been to an endocrinologist who tells me we should just continue monitoring the situation for the next four years, but I can't put up with the tiredness and memory issues, never mind the worry of potentially my cancer returning and the potential damage to my heart in the long run. My mother had hyperparathyroidism, bladder cancer and kidney stones, topped with quite severe depression and memory issues (diagnosed as vascular dementia, but knowing what I know now, perhaps it was the hyperparathyroidism! She died at 75) - I do not want to go down the same road if it can be avoided. My father died at 59 with a heart attack, but we think that was due to having smoked since he was a young man. I am waiting for the results of the urine analysis for calcium levels and i am going for a bone density scan. I had one around 5 years ago and my bones were very strong and above average for my age - I played a lot of sport right through childhood and into my late thirties. I have not been so active in recent years due to many house and country moves and looking after the kids. Should I insist on an ultrasound and a sestamibi scan and then insist on surgery. The reports seem to state that the only cure is surgery and I don't see why I should wait as the risks for me of living with the memory and depression issues are too great, quite apart from the potential other health outcomes. I have to earn a living and it is affecting my ability to do my job greatly. This in turn raises my anxiety and stress levels which is not good for my body in any event. My doctors seem to only half listen and don't look at all my symptoms as a whole. They dismiss my concerns about my memory and my heart issues as unrelated, ad I would be appreciate your advice as to how I should get them to listen to me.
Can you advise me how long my answer my take? I know I have said a lot. Your answer about hyperparathyroidism causing GERD was clear and I thank you for that.
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
Surgery is a good option now

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, the heart rhythm disturbances could be due to hyperparathyroidism. Such rhythm disturbances rarely but to progress to congestive cardiac failure.

The progression of the colon cancer may not be linked to the hyperparathyroidism but complications like calcification of the tumor can occur as secondary to high calcium levels in the blood.

I recommend surgery for now, as it is in its initial stage and can be cured well. Surgery is worth the potential damage due to the hyperparathyroidism.

Hope, I answered your query.