Why does child puts lot of effort during passing stool?

Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hi My newborn babyboy is 26 days old. During passing of stool and urine he seems to put lot of effort. After it is over he is normal.After visisting the nearest doctor, he has prescribed Enterogermina oral suspension 5 ml for 4 days. Is my son suffering from any major problem. Regards, XXXXX
Posted Sun, 22 Dec 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 30 minutes later
Brief Answer: Relax Detailed Answer: Hi Thanks for writing to us. I understand your concern Relax,there is nothing to worry. It is normal in newborn to feel little uneasy before passing stools or urine. Your doctor has prescribed you probiotic and there is no harm in giving it. Most important is that baby should be given exclusive breast feeding. Watch his activity/feeding pattern/urine output. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question I would be glad to help. Wishing your baby good health. God bless....

Follow-up: Why does child puts lot of effort during passing stool? 2 days later
Thanks for the reply. The baby is crying a lot these days. His sleeping duration has reduced than earlier.His stats are: weight : 3.9 Kg HC: 37.5 cm ce: 36 cm length: 57 cm He has developed some skin problem. there are some small-small red ptches scene in the body. Doctor advice to apply gohnson oil.Please advice any other oil available. his sleep is very inconsistent.

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 39 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Thanks for your followup. Your baby is having colic whic is seen in most of babies .It starts at 3 weeks of age and usually settles by 2 months of age. There is nothing to worry. Keep baby in prone position but baby should not be left alone. Hold him against shoulder. Gently massage his tummy in shape of inverted u starting from right lower side then up ,side and down. drops like colicaid can be given 5 drops after consulting your doctor. you should avoid gas forming food items in your diet. Regarding red patches you can apply calamine lotion 2 to 3 times a day. Hope this helps. Take care......

Follow-up: Why does child puts lot of effort during passing stool? 5 minutes later
thanks mam for the reply. Regarding his sleep has reduced during night hours. During day time he at a stretch for 4-5 hours. Total sleep hours is around 10-14 hours. How to improve his sleep in nigth hours? regards, XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 11 minutes later
Brief Answer: Thanks Detailed Answer: Hi . I really appreciate your concern. But relax do not worry. Babies take time to adjust their sleeping cycles as sleeping more day time is continuation of their in utero cycle. During day time try to wake him after every two hours for feeding. In few weeks his routine will get set. Hope I have answered your question. God bless..

Follow-up: Why does child puts lot of effort during passing stool? 29 minutes later
Thanks mam for your prompt reply, His recent growth figures are: weight : 3.9 Kg HC: 37.5 cm ce: 36 cm length: 57 cm is the above figures are normal for his age (Date of birth 04.11.2013) Once again thanks for addressing my concerns. With regards, XXXXX Assam

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: hI Detailed Answer: His growth is absolutly normal for his age. Wishing you and your family good health. Happy parenting.....