Why does baby gets gas pains and flatulence hours after eating?

Infertility Specialist
Why does my baby get , gas pains and flatulence hours after eating. She goes to sleep for 5 hours and the gas and flatulance wakes her up. Why is it happening all this time after eating?. She is on a hypoallergic baby formula as she is allergic to cows milk and soy. Every night i have to give her gripe water!.
Posted Fri, 23 Nov 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Biswajit Dash 2 hours later
Flatulence in babies is a common problem and can be from many causes.
1)Introduction of solid foods in babies initially may create flatulence which generally passes over time.The baby needs to produce various digestive enzymes and her intestine needs to adapt to these food changes.
2)Certain cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, cabbage) and legumes often produce flatulence.
3)I want to know whether the baby is still taking mother's milk. It has been proposed that cruciferous vegetables & legumes, acid producing citrus fruits and diary products in the mother's diet can cause flatulence in babies. Please look this.
4)If the baby is bottle fed, you must check the size of the nipple, whether it fits appropriately in to the baby's mouthy or not. An ill fit nipple can cause the baby to swallow more air during suckling that can cause flatulence.
Regarding the treatment part,
1) I will advice you to burp the baby for 5 mins or gentle massage the baby's tummy after each feed that can drive out excess air from the baby's stomach.
2) You can use simethicone/dill/fennel drops after each feed that may help.
3) Gripe water contains bicarbonate that helps to reduce acidity in the baby's stomach. Excess of which shouldn't be used. Employ caution as excess of these can cause electrolyte imbalances in the baby.

I think I have answered your query. Please mail me if you have any further queries.

Wish your baby a good health.