Why does baby exert pressure while passing motion?

Question
Hello dr my 7 month old son's motion is either green or mustard and is semi solid not hard at times loose, but I see him exert pressure while passing motion. He is on Cerlac and bottle feed. Kindly advice why is he exerting pressure?
Posted Thu, 6 Feb 2014 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Probably he is suffering from infective diarrhea. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for asking question on health care magic. It looks like diarrhea caused by infection. Baby may have colicky pain associated with diarrhea. That is why they strain and exert pressure while passing motion. Babies will have change of color of stool to green or mustard some times associated with blood and mucous. I would like my patients to take antispasmodic drops like Colimex. I advise culture and sensitivity of stool as well as microscopic examination to find out the causative organism and proper treatment. Continue feeds as usual. Hope this answer will serve your purpose Please feel free to ask any more queries if required Take care Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam MD;DCH Associate professor of pediatrics

Follow-up: Why does baby exert pressure while passing motion? 4 minutes later
is it normal in this age dr. what could be the cause. is medication must or will it cure naturally

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 32 minutes later
Brief Answer: It is not normal at this age. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for asking followup query on XXXXXXX Green or mustard color is not normal for babies of this age. The cause is usually infection. To confirm this get the stool examined microscopically If the stool exam suggests infective diarrhea, get the culture and sensitivity report of the stool. This will tell you the causative organism and the antibiotic to which the organism is sensitive. You may empericaly use Walamycin in consultation with your doctor. Usually most of the infective diarrheas are self limited. If no improvement within 3-4 days cosult pediatrician. Hope this answer is OK for you. Please feel free to ask further questions Wishing your baby speedy recovery. Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.

Follow-up: Why does baby exert pressure while passing motion? 14 hours later
I gave my son 6th month vaccination with opv on 10th XXXXXXX . do I have to give the government polio vaccine?

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Yes, you have to. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks and welcome to followup query on XXXXXXX In spite of giving OPV on 10th January you have to give polio vaccine during pulse polio program conducted by government of India. We are on the verge of eradicating Polio from our country. As citizens of India it is our duty take part in eradicating this disease by cooperating with government programs. Hope this answer is OK for you. Further queries invited. Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.

Follow-up: Why does baby exert pressure while passing motion? 31 hours later
thanks a lot for your reply dr. one last query could u please tell me what sort of foods should I give my 7 month old son at this age. as now a days don't know what fruits to eat or avoid, including foods

Answered by Dr. Venkata Subrahmanaym Mukkavilli 15 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes,I am giving a list of items for your 7 mo baby Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks and welcome to healthcare magic with your followup query. You may give your 7 months baby in addition to milk, Fresh fruit juices like orange, grapes pineapple . You may give vegetable soups with little bit of salt. You may also give milk cereal mixtures like cerlac, nestum, farex etc., You may also introduce porridge if you like (rather if the baby likes) Hope this answer serves your purpose. Please feel free to ask more queries if needed. Dr.M.V.Subrahmanyam.