Why doctors can't usually do much for patients who talk about illness a lot?

hi. I have a question and that's why doctors can't usually do much for patients who talk about illness a lot? i heard this from a friend of mine who has a friend who is an endocrinologist and he told him to tell me this and that when i go to a doctors office i shouldn't complain about illness a lot or else they wouldn't be able to do much for me.
Posted Tue, 22 Oct 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Anjana Rao Kavoor 7 days later
Brief Answer:
Please read detailed reply.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.

You have raised a very valid point in asking your query. Doctors nowadays are restricted to their speciality and superspeciality practices. Its like being master in a certain area of interest. There is a lot of overlap between specialities and sometimes, putting forth too many problems may dilute the problem being discussed and the doctor may refer the patient for complete evaluation to another specialist.

In doing this the focus of illness may be deviated from the main problem and the patient management might also get affected as referrals and new investigations take time and if the patient is speaking about insignificant problems being faced, the doctor will delay in taking decision pending referral results from other doctors.

That does not mean that a patient should not speak out about his/ her problems. It only means that a patient should be more specific and detailed though every doctor makes their own attempt at taking as much history possible. For example, a headache is not the same for every one, therefore describing the headache with respect to onset, duration, intensity, aggravating factors, relieving factors would be more helpful rather than going on complaining that the headache and associating generalised weakness and body ache which has made life hell for the patient.

I hope your query has been answered.
Do write back in case of doubts.

Dr.A.Rao Kavoor