Why do women become upset during their periods? Is there a specific treatment for it?

Question
Why do women become upset during their periods? Is there any specific treatment in place to reduce the physchological effects and emotional changes that women undergo during this period?
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

Women undergo a monthly periodic cycle, in which estrogen level keeps on increasing in first 14-15 days & progesterone, LH level in another 14 day.

Exact cause is not known, but may be due to these hormonal up & down. 85% women of reproductive age group develop this premenstrual syndrome.

In premenstrual syndrome, women develop stress, anxiety, mood swings, and emotional disturbances during 10 days before periods & get relieved after starting periods.

There is conservative management like Decreased caffeine, sugar & sodium & increased fiber intake during 10 days before periods.
Vitamin E, Increased calcium intake up to 1200 mg/day are also having empirical role.

In severe cases, antidepressant like serotonin receptor intake inhibitor can be given.

I hope your query has been answered. Please do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Why do women become upset during their periods? Is there a specific treatment for it? 36 minutes later
Instead of intake of depressant is there any other way of treating the same. Perhaps looking at it from a physchological perspective.
And historically, since this would always have been a "woman's problem" well before this was discovered through science, what was the method of control prior to the discovery of this aspect in women.
What are the food items, including fruits and vegetables (from an Indian perspective) that has a high content of Vitamin E and Calcium.

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 57 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Public attention was given to PMS (Pre Menstrual Syndrome) in 1980. Until then women who reported their problem, it was told that problem is “all in their head".
When many criminal events came in light, PMS got acceptance.

Regarding psychological perspective - you can give emotional support, can counsel a woman that she is having these problems due to hormonal imbalance, also by doing aerobic exercise emotional issues can be controlled.
XXXXXXX leafy vegetables, nuts & seeds contain high content of calcium & vitamin E.

I hope your query has been answered. Do let me know if you have more concerns.

Follow-up: Why do women become upset during their periods? Is there a specific treatment for it? 13 minutes later
Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks a lot. I will do my own research with respect to the history behind it to know what would have been before 1980.
Surprising that this is quite a recent acceptance in medical history though.

Thank you again for the prompt responses.

Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 2 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

If you are satisfied with my answer, then please accept it and write a review.