Why do my cheeks tingle sometimes after I eat dessert?

Why do my cheeks tingle sometimes after I eat XXXXXXX desserts?
Posted Fri, 21 Sep 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 4 hours later
Its an interesting question. What happens is that when we eat something hot or cold, the nerve fibers under the skin get stimulated ( due to the extremes in temperature). This causes the tingling sensation sometimes.
Also, its possible that a part of it is psychogenic since you're diabetic and basically should not be eating these desserts.
We should not be concerned as this is not the way diabetic neuropathy usually presents itself. It generally affects the feet first and we'd only know about that after a thorough examination.
I hope this helps
Let me know if you have any more questions
Follow-up: Why do my cheeks tingle sometimes after I eat dessert? 24 minutes later
Actually I am not diabetic...I was just curious why this happens? I have had all tests to rule out diabetes.
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 5 minutes later
Its good to hear that. I still gave you the basics on how this works. Sensitivity is an issue for which there is really no permanent treatment. If its bothering you too much, you could consider using a local anesthetic gel (like one with xylocaine or lignocaine) which is suitable for using in the mouth.
Don't worry too much about this.
Follow-up: Why do my cheeks tingle sometimes after I eat dessert? 6 minutes later
Is it just the sugar that causes the sensation? Perhaps a quick spike in one's blood sugar? And there is nothing to fear from this?
Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 21 minutes later
I dont think the sugar is responsible for the sensation. Sugar has basically glucose which does not stimulate the nerves. Its not caused by the spike of glucose as well. You dont need to worry about this.
I hope that addresses your concerns. Please close this discussion if you dont have any more questions.