Why do i have regular palpitations?

Hi, over the past week, I've been having fairly regular palpitations - I think they are palpitations as it feels like my heart skips a beat. These palpitations occur consistently in the morning after waking up, during lunch time, and right before bed. During all other periods during the day I am fine. Other than the weird feeling of a skipped beat I have no other real symptoms (I am fine otherwise). I have also recently done an physical and ECG, and all my results were deemed okay by my doctor. I am a 24 year old male in relatively decent shape. Do I have anything to worry about?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later

Palpitations at your age if there is no cardiac reason needs other reasons to be ruled out that include-

1.Electrolyte imbalance-Abnormal levels of potassium, magnesium and calcium can cause palpitations. A simple blood test will rule out these.

2.Hyperthyroidism- Raised levels of thyroid hormone is a common cause of palpitations.

3.Excessive intake of caffeine, tobacco and alcohol can cause palpitations. Restrict their use as much as possible.

4.Illicit drugs use and other medicines might cause palpitation.

You need to rule out all these causes with the help of simple blood tests under the guidance of your physician.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.