Why do i have lower left abdominal pain when i have a bowel movement or caugh/laugh?

Hello im a 31 year old male about 205 lbs. I started having this dull pain in my lower left abdomen. When I have a bowel movement or cough/laugh I feel the pain increase quickly and then go away. Recently now along with the abdominal pain, I get a mild uncomfortable burning sensation after I urinate. Im not sure what's wrong
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Having pain in lower abdomen specially on the left side which suddenly increases on coughing or laughing is suggestive intra peritoneal problems such as renal / ureteric colic, recurrent prostatitis and peritonitis.

The exact location or the origin of the pain can be known after a CT scan of abdomen. You require Blood counts, urine examination.

The mild burning sensation on urination may be due to urinary infection - might be possible that the prostatitis you had earlier was not treated properly and now there is a recurrence.

To confirm the diagnosis, you can get a routine urine examination done which will show pus cells and protein in the urine. If it is actually a take plenty of fresh cranberry juice.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.
Follow-up: Why do i have lower left abdominal pain when i have a bowel movement or caugh/laugh? 39 minutes later
That's what I feared......I did see an urologist almost a year ago and he wanted to do the test where he sticks the tube in my penis all the way to my kidneys. I ran never went back, so there is an alternative to see what's goin on? He said, for my age and it reoccurring is why he wants to do the procedure
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Your urologist was right in pointing out the problem for you. If you are afraid of the procedure you can then request for other non-invasive procedures like ultrasond scan and a CT- scan. These investigations might help in diagnosing the problem.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing you an early recovery.