Why do i have a feeling of congested nose and throat?

ENT Specialist
feels like i snorted a very very small cotton ball the size of a pea and it feels lodged behind the uvula. what could this be? sinus? allergy? food crumb? year old nasal decongestant? it is july in oregon - not sure what is blooming? i took 24 hour otc allergy pill and it did not help... feels like i need to clear my throat but it wont go away, also i tried 1/8 tsp salt in 8 oz warm water and tried draining through the nose per pharmacist... did not help...noticed after i ate a XXXXXXX sub felt like something stuck back/up there but next day today its more pronounced...i can breath fine and swallow fine... almost a numb annoying feeling.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 29 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

After reading your post, my opinion towards treating this problem are:

1. Get a nasal endoscopy done to rule out any foreign body. Posterior rhinoscopy is an alternative. The test can be done by a competent ENT specialist.

2. You may have regurgitated a small food particle or wrapping, fiber, hair into the nasopharynx. Though it may no longer be there, a mild abrasion or repeated effort to dislodge it may be causing soreness. This can produce numb annoying feeling.

3. It could be thick sinus discharge, post-nasal drip, fungal mucopus, allergic polyp, granular, lymphoid tissue, acid reflux or just about anything that you may imagine. The correct way out is to now go in for direct examination and rule all these conditions out.

4. Since the soft palate is mobile, it is highly unlikely, that any food particle or crumb is still stuck there. It will probably be a sensation of something.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Why do i have a feeling of congested nose and throat? 18 hours later
Ok sounds like nothing too severe, only the fact that all night I felt horrible and now that I slept for HOURS and HOURS I do feel better. I still have a feeling of something there, but feels thick like drainage... I took Robitussin before bed and this morning, just because it was all I had handy, so I think it may have been mucus since I noticed throughout the day I felt like my breathing was raspy... I am from FL and have been in OR for almost 3 years now and I am moving back in a few months... so I am hoping my "allergies" go away... I never had any before... could this problem have occurred from sinus/allergies that I am unaware of? And thanks again for the help.....
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. During sleep the movement of the soft palate decreases and hence healing takes place at a faster rate.

2. Since you are already feeling better, you may wait (and take supportive medication) till you move back to Florida. Hopefully, the allergies that you have picked up in Oregon will subside.

3. A few months of allergy should not result in permanent damage to the nasal passages and sinuses provided that you start exercising care and take anti-allergics, mucolytics and regular steam inhalation.

4. Keep a diary where you note down symptoms on a daily basis to try and avoid the offending allergens.

Non-specific allergens such as dust are tough to avoid. In such cases medication helps. Please take your medication under medical supervision .

Do not investigate if your palatal sensation disappears.

Wish you good health.