Why do i get a soft bulge on my neck when i have a headache?

Hello I am a 59 year old female. When I get a headache I have a soft bulge on my neck between c3 & c4. When I press on it my headache lessons. What is it? I am also 125 lbs. 5'7"
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later

There are two possibilities for such kind of lump which appears on the back of neck when you have a headache and all these need a through neurological examination. These include:

1)     Any vertebral artery aneurysm which is a tear of the inner lining of the vertebral artery, which is located in the neck and supplies blood to the brain. It is usually diagnosed with a contrast-enhanced CT or MRI scan. However gold standard is cerebral angiography.

2)     Any vertebral cause of raised ICT (intracranial tension )like a cyst or tumor of the spine.

I suggest you to consult a neurologist and get a CT scan and MRI spine and head as well as cerebral angiography done.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.