Why do i get Pain in foot when coughing?

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

This is a great question.

If the ankle pain is in the ankle which you had surgery on it is possible that an activation of your nervous system leads to the ankle pain.

With a cough large bundles of nerves are stimulated in the central nervous system. It is likely that with the cough some of the nerves which conduct sensation and pain to your legs are activated. In your case it may be that the injured ankle is more sensitive to this nerve activation.

In order to minimize the pain if it is worrisome you could take some ibuprofen 600 mg three times per day for a few days to see if this helps. Of course treating the cough may help as well with something like dextromethorphan or Robitussin.

Thanks again for submitting your question. I hope my answer has served to be helpful. If you have any followups I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.