Why do i feel heart palpitations with a rise in my blood sugar level ?

Why does my heart pound when my blood sugar spikes? I am a Type 2 diabetic taking glipizide and 7 units Novolog with dinner and 23 units Lantus at bedtime.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 39 minutes later

Let me first Confirm your query. Whenever there is a spike in your blood sugar levels, palpitations are felt.

Most commonly palpitations in diabetics is seen due to hypoglycemic episodes along with severe sweating or any myocardial abnormality. It would be better to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly during such episodes and would be better to get your Electrocardiogram done too as to rule out any Myocardial abnormality.

When Diabetes is treated adequately there should not be any spikes in your Blood sugar levels. So I suggest you make minor modification in your diabetic medication after discussing with your treating doctor. And I would like you to know that most of the complications in Diabetes are caused due to High Blood sugar levels.

I would like to know a few more things to suggest you better:
1.May I know your height, weight and Waist-Hip Ratio?
2.May I know the range of your Blood sugar levels while on diabetic medications?
3.Do you follow any physical exercises regularly?

It would be better to advise you after you post your reply.

Hence, awaiting your reply.