Why do i feel a lump in my vagina while having intercourse?

ENT Specialist
Question
I have recently been feeling an uncomfortable feeling in the bottom of my stomach when having sexy with my partner and he says that in certain positions he feels he is hitting against something inside me. I have felt a lump inside right at the back of my virgina and it dosnt hurt when I press on it just feels funny like when u put your finger in your belly button, im worried and don't know what it is or if it's normal ?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health

Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 3 hours later
Dear Clarkecharlotte53,

Thank you for your query.

The uterine cervix (neck of the uterus) is the lower, conical portion of the uterus which and protrudes into the top of the vagina. The cervix has a convex surface and has the opening of the uterus (the 'os') and anterior and posterior lips around this opening which will feel like a belly button. Since the cervix protrudes a couple of centimeters into the back of the vagina, your partner will feel that he is hitting some structure inside.

Needless to say, all this is perfectly normal and you should not worry about this.

You may always consult a gynecologist for a routine examination and a pap smear if you are above the age of 20. You also need to consider consulting a gynecologist if you develop discomfort / pain following sexual intercourse, itching, vaginal discharge and so on.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.