Why do I yawn continually? How to get rid of this?

goodmorning i continually yawn especially when speaking and trying to sing along with cd/radio do you know what could be the cause of the problem it's very annoying and embarasing especialloy when trying to converse with someone and i yawn in the middle of speaking, i find the only time i don't yawn is when I'm chewing gum which i go thru alot of regards Karen
Posted Mon, 18 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Thanks for your query. I understand your concern with yawning. The pathology behind yawning is hypoxia i.e low oxygen levels which is compensated by yawning and intake of oxygen. It is a common sequelae to poor sleep quality. Hence, i would suggest you follow the following steps of sleep hygiene that will normalise your sleep and therefore control yawning. Chewing gums are ofcourse a traditional way employed to control yawning. The steps of sleep hygiene are:voiding tea/coffee/carbonated drinks after 7 PM; avoiding afternoon naps; waking up at the same time every day irrespective of the time you sleep; ensuring adequately dark and comfortable place for sleep; avoid bed for everything except sleep and not to spend beyond 10 minutes in bed if unable to sleep. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Why do I yawn continually? How to get rid of this? 17 minutes later
thankyou for your reply, but i feel sleep is not the problem as i sleep really well. do not sleep during the day , do not takke tea coffee after 7pm and suffer from quite good health, but thanks anyway for your answer Karen
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 5 minutes later
Thought the most common cause of yawning is poor quality of sleep there are other multiple proposed hypothesis including serotonin/neurochemical imbalance. In that case there are two strategies that are likely to help you: XXXXXXX breathing exercises and distraction by music/games/other hobbies of interest.
Dr Sundar