Why do I wake up gasping for air and get a blocked feeling in throat?

Daily I travel to work by bus. It is more than an hour travel. I fall asleep during the journey. Most of the times (one in 5), I get up from the sleep gasping for air. It feels like some liquid is blocking my throat and takes couple of minutes cough to breath back normally. I experience this often while sleeping in a bus or car (sitting posture). Once in a while, i get up from bed also for the same reason. But, it happens more often, when i am in sitting posture.
Posted Sun, 2 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen 1 hour later
Brief Answer: There can be due to frequent rhinitis Detailed Answer: Hi, Throat block is due to post nasal drip. Fluid from the back of your nose / sinuses drips down and reaches the throat leading to irritation and throat block. One of the most common cause is frequent nose infection (rhinitis) . How frequently do you have rhinitis? Do you snore on your bed? Do you have any sinus related issues? Keep me posted to help you better. Thanks
Follow-up: Why do I wake up gasping for air and get a blocked feeling in throat? 13 hours later
I do not get any nose infection or sinus problems. I snore mildly.
Answered by Dr. Praveen 7 minutes later
Brief Answer: There can be deviation of septum Detailed Answer: Thanks for writing back. From your description it seems that you must be having a deviated nasal septum. The secretions in the throat seem to be from post-nasal drip that is seen in deviated nasal septum. I suggest you to consult ENT specialist(otolaryingologist) and get examined. Discuss with him if it needs a surgical correction. I hope this should solve your problem. Thanks