Why do I suddenly have loose stools with abdominal pain?

Hi there, i've been having loose stools for almost 2.5 months now, nothing special about them...colour is normal, and no blood. However, i'm a one a day, solid stool for the last 30 years kind of guy, this is out of character. I've seen my family phyician, had stool samples anaylized for parasites, and nothing! I have a physical booked for next week. When my Dr. did my initial exam, he had me lie on my back and was pressing my stomach, asking if i felt any pain...then, no pain, all day today, yes where ever i press i feel pain and discomfort. He's left for the day so, i ask you...any thoughts or suggestions???
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 4 hours later

Thanks for posting your query

Changes in the bowel habits can be due to either alteration in the diet(any particular food causing allergy) or due to any Gastrointestinal disorder.

The common culprits in food items which can cause loose stools are dairy products(including milk), raw veggies, increase in dietary sugar intake/soda, caffeine.
Try to have more of bananas, rice, toast and check if there is any change.
Since it has been long you are having loose stools it can be indicative of any underlying disorder as Coeliac disease, Inflammatory bowel disease etc.

Consider visiting a Gastroenterologist and getting investigations as Blood test for detection of autoantibodies to rule out Coeliac disease and if required intestinal Biopsy and Colonoscopy for confirmation of diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for follow up query if any.