Why do I smell and taste blood while blowing nose?

Good

Question
I WAS WONDERING WHY I SMELL AND TASTE BLOOD WHEN I BLOW MY NOSE YET MY NOSE IS NOT BLEEDING? I HAVE HASHIMOTO'S AND WONDER IF IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH MY THYROID. I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ALLERGIES UNTIL THIS YEAR. I THOUGHT MY SINUS CONGESTION WAS DUE TO THAT, YET I AM STILL HAVING PROBLEMS. THE BACK OF MY NECK HAS BEEN PAINFUL THESE LAST FEW WEEKS ALSO.
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Kulbir Singh 5 hours later
Hello and thanks for posting the query
The bloody smell or taste for the nose is due to the chronic or acute infection of the sinuses. The infection may be bacterial, viral, fungal, allergens or due to cold and flu. To get rid from these symptoms some measures are:
1. Take steam inhalation 3-4 times a day and try to expel out mucus as much as you can.
2. Prevent the complete blockage of the sinus.
3. Prevent yourself from allergens and changing weather.
4. Take a complete course of antibiotic and decongestant drugs as per direction of your doctor.
5. Clear the passage whenever required and allow the pressure to develop in the sinus.

Hashimoto's only give you the feeling of blockage in your throat due to enlargement. Sinus congestion may or may not be related to that. Feel free to consult your ENT specialist and get a proper effective treatment and may go for certain investigations like X-rays as per your doctor advise.

Hope you got your answer. Write back if you have another related query.
Best Wishes
Dr. Kulbir Singh