Why do I see blood in stool?

Question
I have seen a lot of bright red blood in the toilet bowl as well as a thin red strip of blood about 1 mm thick along one side of the stool. The stool is a beige or light brown colour, not black or dark red. When I wipe the first two wipes are covered with bright red watery blood after that there is nothing. No itching, no pain. It has happened twice in the last two days. Stools are ocassionly hard and require effort to evaquate, there is no pain to match to the blood, just a feeling of soft stool but not diarehea. My doc is on holidays until next week and need to rush to emergency? in adavance, Thanks
Posted Wed, 22 Jan 2014 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Jose Ignacio Artero Munoz 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Bloody Stools Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. Bloody stools may be secondary to perianal pathology or pathology of the colon and rectum. Perianal pathologies more frequent are hemorrhoids and anal fissure. If you dont have pain or itching, anal pathology initially is discarded (although an exploration is needed to confirm this). Constipation and effort to evacuate can too cause bloody stools (although usually bleeding is less). I advice you go to the Emergency Service because: a) Persistent bleeding can cause anemia (it is advisable to realize blood analysis to see hemoglobin level).Also your bleeding is heavy. b) Confirm the absence of perianal pathology(hemorrhoids and anal fissure) that could cause bleeding. c) Assess to realize a urgent colonoscopy in function of exploration and hemoglobin levels. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.

Follow-up: Why do I see blood in stool? 25 minutes later
Does it sound like hemroids I have had this once before same amount of bleeding and it was hemroids Does it sound like hemroids. I am heading home the doctor Tuesday I thought internal hemroids were not as so I ate with pain, my anus is a little itchy and I have had this once before and the same amount of blood and it was hemroids.

Brief Answer: Hemorrhoids Detailed Answer: Hello.Delighted to be able to help. Internal hemorrhoids may be the diagnosis( external hemorrhoids is less likely because they cause extremely itchy and can be palpated). However, I recommend you go to an Emergency Service. If congested external hemorrhoids are detected in anal exploration and your hemoglobin levels are normal you can return to your home in a few hours and go to your doctor if bleeding persists after a few days. I Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.If you do not have any clarifications, please don’t forget to evaluate my answer.I wish you good health.