Why do I need to show a license while getting a controlled substance in pharmacy?

why do you need to show a license for a controlled substance at a pharmacy? I wasn't sure is it because they want to know who they're giving it to if they supposedly sell it?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar 2 hours later
Hello and welcome to Healthcare Magic. Thanks for your query.

The reason why you have to show a liscence or an identity proof while getting a controlled substance at a pharmacy is to have an official regulation on the dispensing of these medication. It is done to check whether the sale of the medication is legal (i.e.) whether they is supposed to sell it or not. It is not done with the intention of finding out who the medication is being sold to or to track that person.

The law stipulates that legal controls should be established in order to prevent the sale of illegal medication and to prevent misuse of such medication. It is beyond the scope of the law to "identify" who is getting the medication or to track persons who are getting the medicaation.

Legal controls are applied to every stage of a contolled substance - production, storage, prescription and dispensing. Every person involved in this chain, namely the manufacturer, the doctor, the pharmacist as well as the buyer (patient) has to produce identifying documents. So, as doctors (psychiatrists), we also have to furnish our identifying documents including our identification proof and medical registration no. in order to become eligible to prescribe these medicines. Our prescriptions are also audited periodically - again not to check who is prescribing what, but to ensure that things are done legally, as per the regulations.

I hope I have clarified your query.

Wish you all the best.

Dr. Jonas Sundarakumar
Consultant Psychiatrist