Why do I keep getting diarrhea? Am I okay?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I keep having diarrhea off and on, more times than not, for about a month in a half or so. What's going on? Should I be worried?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Hi there.

Do you have foul smelling diarrhea often ?

Any blood or bubbles in the stool ?

Do you have intolerance to milk and milk products, oats, wheat, barley etc. ?

Have you lost weight recently ?

There could be many causes for recurrent diarrhea. Commonly it could be infections like yeast or bacterial infections or could be malabsorptive disorders like Celiac disease, Whipple's disease, Pancreatic disease etc.

Diarrhea can get worse if the healthy bacteria in the bowel are not replenished. Hence it is recommended to consume yoghurt or curds everyday. You may alternatively take Sporolac or Lactobacillus tablet, twice a day. This will help reduce the severity of diarrhea and also hep prevent infections.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in proteins, low in fat and carbohydrates. Keep well hydrated. Avoid eating spicy food, hard or hot food or fluids as well. Avoid eating outside food, junk food, caffeine, colas, reduce milk and milk products as well as wheat, barley, rye as gluten sensitive individuals need to avoid these.

Do get your stool tested. Get a Gastroenterologist consult to rule out above mentioned diseases. If needed, antibiotic may be started for infections.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.