Why do I keep getting burning sensation below rib cage?

Jan 2013

i keep getting a burning sensation on my right hand side just below my rib cage, i do have a dri9nk every night
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 44 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with burning sensation.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal heaviness/ excessive flatulence?
Do you have yellow discoloration of eyes and urine/ loss of appetite/ nausea or vomiting?

With the available described symptoms, there appears to be possibility of peptic ulcer disease.
Presence of heart burn along with acid reflux (as you have defined) signifies the diagnosis of peptic ulcer disease.
There may be possibility of duodenal ulcer (with the available site of pain).
Although you are not taking alcohol regularly, yet drinking may be associated with gastric problems and liver dysfunction.

Liver disease is not only associated with abdominal pain just below thee right rib cage but also with yellow discoloration of urine and eyes, loss of appetite and vomiting.

Peptic ulcer disease may be in form of chronic gastritis, fundal gastritis, nodular gastritis, follicular gastritis and gastric & duodenal ulcer and adenocarcinoma of stomach.
Helicobacter pylori bacteria is responsible for peptic ulcer treatment and eradication is essential for complete relief.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist/ gastroenterologist and should go for thorough check up & endoscopy.
You should also go for breath urea test for H. pylori infection.
You should also go for complete hemogram, ultrasound imaging, liver function test and serum amylase.

You should take frequent small amount meals.
Avoid tomatoes, legumes, citrus fruits, onion, garlic, spicy and oily food.
Avoid tea, coffee and chocolates.
Take soft diet with yogurt.

Hope that helps.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava