Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
why do i have tingling and numbing feelings in y hands and ars and legs. its ele tingling feelings esp when i sit in my legs.
Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Thank you for posting your query.
Your symptoms are due to nerve involvement. The most common causes are mechanical pressure on the nerves in skin. It is not a serious problem.
A deficiency of vitamin B12 or thyroid problems can aggravate this. So, it may be better to test the vitamin B12 and thyroid profile in the blood.
I hope it helps.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 1 hour later
thank u doc. esp numbness in the left hand... could it be sugar levels or thyroid cuz my moms side family women all have thyroid and on med.i am breathing fine.
i barely get gas release sorry the eww detail but with the numbness and tingling feelings im getting this too

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 43 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

It is possible that you have some gut issues with reduced motility. An evaluation by a gastroenterologist would be helpful. Some simple medications such as cisapride and mosapride may be helpful.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 14 hours later
yah thank u.. im just waiting to go to my doc tomm. what tests should i tell her to do to check for my thyroid or sugar. the tingling and numbling is happening but im getting pain in my joints of my wrists or knees or shoulders. it is achey type feeling. what type of tests should i do to check for this. so far my doc done blood work and us on my thyroid nodule on right of neck.
i do have some pain around the right side of neck and shoulders and the area near the swollen thyroid nodule. does the thyroid nodule cause neck pain and a lil bit of shoulder pain. please reply....

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you for getting back.

Thyroid nodule usually does not cause neck or shoulder pain. The pain is most likely unrelated, and may be either due to muscular pain or slipped disc with pinching of nerves.

Best wishes,

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

yeah thank u for the answers. if it shows a thyroid nodule to be a size. do i need to get an poerate or take meds to shrike it down in size? if a an operate, is it safe and how long does it take? will i have a scar on my neck? how long is recovery cuz i have two lil babies.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back.
The thyroid nodule can assessed by an ultrasound examination.

Once a nodule shows up on the scan, then the next step is usually to do an FNAC (needle aspiration and examination by a pathologist). If it comes as benign, then it can either be left alone or it can be operated. There is no medication to shrink it.

If FNAC shows malignancy (cancer), then the entire thyroid gland including the nodule would be removed by operation.

A small scar would be left after the surgery, which may not pose must of a cosmetic issue. The operation itself is quite safe.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 17 hours later
thank u for replying doctor. i got the results back for the thyroid us and bloodwork which came back normal. the doc is refer me to the ent doctor. if nothing showed up on us then why the ent?

Thank you for getting back. It is a good news that all reports are normal.
Maybe your doctor wants to be sure that nothing is missed, so, ENT check up is just for completion.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 32 minutes later
yeah... its just all this stuff is making me stress. im from indian family and my hubby wants me to be housewife and plus two lil kids from two to seven months old.i think these health stuff is giving me stress. i am getting a headace in middle of headace and ear pain that wont go away. i think its either stress or aniexty related. i started taking my complete vitamins including iron pills. the tingling is gone but lightheaded is not gone yet. the us was normal so that mean theres nothing abnormal in that nodule that they did the us on? its normal in the looks of it? sorry for the questions?
where the nodule is or ...on right side of neck.. i also have neck pain to little bit of shoulder pain. its sometimes giving me a headace on right side .. could that be soething or could it be stress related. when i drink tea or put vicks i feel lil better. when i massage my shoulders to neck area. it hurts alot when the press of y hands on that right side of neck hurts... ever sinc e i found out this nodule.. i got stress.. im so sorry doctor to ask many questions. i dont insurance so i have to pay for all the doctor bills ...

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Thank you for getting back.
As I too am Indian, I can understand your stress and anxiety.
However, if the ultrasound was normal, you can stop worrying about the thyroid nodule.

I think ENT examination would also come as normal, but the doctor just wants to be sure.

Your symptoms are related to stress/anxiety including the headache and neck pain.
You may benefit from massage, as well as anti-anxiety medications such as clonazepam.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 11 hours later
ueaj thank u doctor. if the ent check me out in the appt. what will the ent look for? like a regular check up. ill make appt for ent soon. i do get stressed fast esp since the new baby. i feel like tightness in chest and panic. when i have alot to do and plus kids. then y headace comes and stays for long till night or till i done with things/

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

ENT would look for any ear or throat infection, also make sure there is no sinus infection, as these can also cause headache and neck pain. It will be more like a regular check up, and should be over in one appointment.
The effects of stress and anxiety can last for much longer.

best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 57 minutes later
yeah thank u doctor, i do feel neck and shoulder and chest and forehead presure like tightness in that areas. the doc told e to follow up with a ent doctor if that lup type swelling bother me. if there was cancer in that lump or nodule in my neck whatever it is ..it would show up on the us cuz the thyroid is connected to the neck right? its not neck cancer right? my weight is normal temp is normal. i take care of both my lil kids alone along with house work. i have no help. thank you for spending your value time to reply. thank u doctor

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 19 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.
It is definitely not cancer. As any such growth or swelling would get picked up on the ultrasound scan.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 16 minutes later
thank u so much dr. one last question. i take showers late at night before bed. could that cause neck pain and shoulders and chest presure. i was getting dizzy but i took advil and i feel better right now. could i have a sinus inflection? i stop doing that late night showers since these pains came up. can neck pain on the shoulders and neck cause chest tightness or headace? is roti good for iron or anima?thank you so answering every question i had. doctor XXXXXXX

Thank you for getting back.
Taking showers normally is safe and would make you fresh and help in good night's sleep. However, if you have cold allergy, then, it may cause sinus infection.
Neck pain may cause chest tightness and headache in some cases.
Roti gives carbohydrates and energy. For anemia and iron, non veg food is helpful such as chicken, mutton, eggs, etc. Fruits such as guava and apples also help.
It is my pleasure if my answers help you...

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 13 hours later
thank u for all your help doctor. does aniexty cause chest tightness in the center of the chest. or neck pain? esp when im doing housework?

Thank you for getting back.
Anxiety commonly causes chest pain in the centre, and rarely can cause neck pain.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

thank u so much doctor for asking everything i could think of...

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you and best wishes....
Dr Sudhir Kumar

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 19 hours later
sorry doctor but i had one question i took shower today and i keep having some pain behind my ear like the bone behind the right ear in that area. i have thick hair so its never get dry all the way even with a blow dryer. is a sign of sinus?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 minutes later
Most likely it is not sinus. It may be related to shower, which can lead to pain in that area, especially the cold water.

Dr Sudhir Kumar

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 49 minutes later
thanks dr. but it like the area behind the ear like the bone and part of the area behind the ear.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later
Possibly, you have a bit of sensitivity to cold. The part you are referring to, is called the mastoid region. Any infection there is called mastoiditis, which is secondary to ear infection. Since there is no ear infection in you (no ear discharge, fever, etc), the chance of mastoiditis is very less. Yes, as you suspect, it could be bone or muscle pain in that area, aggravated by cold, shower, etc.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar

Follow-up: Why do I have tingling and numbing feelings in hands and arms and legs? 1 minute later
so pain behind and around the rightside on the area at top of the ear on right side is hurting and neck pain on that side. i feel like i have sinus cuz every time these days when i take showers i get these pains ...

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 minutes later
Thank you.
An evaluation by ENT would help in confirming or excluding sinus.
If still in doubt, a PNS (para nasal sinus) X XXXXXXX (modified Water's view) or CT scan of PNS would confirm or exclude 100% a sinus infection.
Thanks,
Dr Sudhir Kumar