Why do I have the sensation of fluid in my ears?

ENT Specialist
I feel like I have water trapped in my ear (scratchy sounds) and my eye is running? Any thoughts on what this could be?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

The sensation of fluid in the ears could be due to the following reasons:
1.     Eustachian tube (the tube which connects the nose and the ear) block
2.     Sinusitis
3.     Wax in the ear

As there are various reasons for giving rise to this condition, only after a thorough examination the exact cause could be found out.

Eustachian tube block could be because of previous history of flu which would have induced swelling around the opening of the Eustachian tube in the nasal end. This leads to blockage of the drainage of the middle ear secretions leading to trapping of the fluid inside the middle ear. There would be similar situation in the case of sinusitis also.

Regarding wax in the ear, accumulation of wax in the ear can mimic water trapped inside the ear. Without a proper examination is indeed difficult to pin point the exact cause.

Please consult a good ENT specialist for the further evaluation and management. Till you consult your ENT specialist, you can try with steam inhalation 2-3 times/day presuming your symptoms to be secondary to Eustachian tube block.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any more doubts you are welcome.

Dr. Naveen Kumar
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon