Why do I have sustained cramps on one side if I am perimenopausal?

I'm sure I am perimenapausal, but have never had cramping pain this long and only on one side.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 20 minutes later

Thanks for your query,

Based on the history, presence of unilateral abdominal cramps for long periods is not usually normal. Causes of such unilateral pain could be due to conditions like ovarian cysts, torsion of the ovary, renal stones, pelvic inflammatory disease, etc.

The best way to diagnose the underlying condition, would be to do a ultrasound of the abdomen and / or pelvis, which can give the proper diagnosis.

For your information - here are a few details about perimenopausal symptoms and presentation.

The age when the signs of perimenopause occur varies among women. Most women notice perimenopausal signs in the 45-55 age range, although it varies, and some women never experience any symptoms. The average age for the final menstrual period is 51.

The Symptoms of Perimenopause include : -

1. Hot flashes, night sweats, coldness
2. Irregular periods that can be heavy, light, shorter or longer cycles
3. Difficulty sleeping either getting to sleep or staying asleep
4. Mood changes, anxiety, depression, irritability
5. Heart palpitations
6. Dry skin and/or hair loss
7. Loss of or decreased sexual desire
8. Vaginal dryness
9. Incontinence -- the inability to hold your urine

I hope this helps.

I shall be available to answer any follow up queries .
Follow-up: Why do I have sustained cramps on one side if I am perimenopausal? 1 hour later
I have had my period for 7 days this month which is unusual. Today seems to be the last day, I started having these pains in the lower left abdomen going around to the lower back on my left side 2 days ago. They seemed to get better yesterday but are back again today. It seems to be radiating down the front of my leg as well.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 15 minutes later
Hello again,

Thanks for the additional history.

The description of the pain confirms the possibility that, you might be having a pathology like a ovarian cyst or a renal stone.

The other possibility would be dysmenorrhea, that is cramps arising due to contractions of the uterus, that is common during the periods. But this is usually less common during the last days of the menstrual cycles.

You might benefit by medications like naprosyn which will help to control the cramps due to the periods, for the time being.

In case the pain does not subside or worsens, you might need investigations like a ultrasound of the abdomen or pelvis to get a definitive diagnosis. You might need to seek a opinion, from a gynaecologist for a examination and proper advice in such a situation.

I hope this helps.