Why do I have smaller, rounder, hollow and sunken eyes after lower eyelid surgery five months ago?

I had lower eyelid surgery 5 months ago and my eyes are smaller, more rounded than they were befoe surgery and are also now hallow and sunken looking.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 24 minutes later

The changes that you have noticed is a common side effect of procedures on the eyelids.

Once the procedure is done, as the inflammation settles down and healing begins, there is slight contraction of the scar tissue, which can cause some cosmetic changes in the appearance of the eyes.

In case, the changes that you seem to have are bothering you too much, you can consult your treating surgeon for a examination and probable treatment measures.

I hope this helps.

I will be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.
Follow-up: Why do I have smaller, rounder, hollow and sunken eyes after lower eyelid surgery five months ago? 10 hours later
Are fillers (e.g Restylane) to correct the hollowness under the eyes recommended? And is there anything that can be done to correct the rounded and smaller look of the eyes?
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later

Products such as restylane, are injected into subcutaneous tissue (Supportive layer under the superficial layer of skin) so as to correct superficial cosmetic defects.

The Eyelids - anatomically lack enough subcutaneous tissues and basically have the superficial layer of skin and a underlying layer of fibre and muscle. Hence injections of restylane to correct defects of the eyelids might not be useful.

But there are other alternative methods available to correct your sunken eyes. A typical procedure to fix sunken looking eyes caused by thinning skin is fat grafting. Fat grafting is the procedure to remove excess fat cells from one part of the body to another part of the body. Many people correct sunken eyes with fat grafting because it returns a more youthful look to eyes.

You might benefit by consulting a experienced plastic surgeon in your area, who can examine you and advise you accordingly.

I hope this helps.