Why do I have red and itchy face after eating?

Allergist and Immunologist
Lately my face turns red and feels scratchy after every meal (no exception), some worse than others. I've tried to research this, but no conclusive data is available online. Any ideas? Pancreas? Diabetes?
Posted Sun, 14 Apr 2013 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 6 hours later

Welcome to Healthcare Magic and thank you for writing to us.

I will need a bit more history or detail as to what exactly happens after every meal.

Is it red, itchy blotches that come up on the face and skin elsewhere on the body?
Do you feel your throat itching?
Was there any episode of abdominal pain or vomiting after a meal (within 1-2 hours)?
Do you feel bloated after eating wheat or milk products?

If you develop a red face that becomes itchy after eating seafood (shrimp, lobster, crab etc); brinjal; wine; chocolate; egg; pickles or preserved foods, then histamine intolerance is a likely possibility.
Please search using 'foods high in histamine' or see WWW.WWWW.WW on this.
Once you have understood this condition, it would be helpful to you whether you think this is the possibility.
There is no blood test and typically allergy testing to foods in this condition is negative.
You can most certainly get the allergy tests done to ensure they are definitely negative.
Antihistamines such as cetirizine 10mg tablets taken as when necessary usually helps.

I hope that was useful.
Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Why do I have red and itchy face after eating? 11 hours later
Thank you for your reply. To answer your follow up questions: there are no other symptoms, no itchy throat, no abdominal pain. The readness clears up about thirty minutes after each meal, could be shorter or longer. Could it be an early sign of diabetes? Thank you
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 51 minutes later
Facial flushing after meals seems to be a more likely possibility now, and this is termed as gustatory sweating/flushing.

Heat (exercise/sauna) causes flushing in many patients, and facial flushing can be caused by alcohol, hot drinks, spicy foods as well.
You can suck on ice chips which will help lower flushing for the first 20 to 30 minutes.
There are several medications that can cause flushing and therefore your medications need to be reviewed by your doctor if you are on any.
If you have severe flushing plus gastrointestinal disturbances such as diarrhoea or wheezing or weight loss, you need to be seen by an endocrinologist to exclude neuroendocrine problems such as carcinoid.
The above symptoms may also be caused by a thyroid abnormality.

Diabetes mellitus (DM) is an unlikely diagnosis, but low blood sugars can cause dizziness with redness on the face. Please get a fasting blood sugar done to exclude DM.

Best Wishes.
Follow-up: Why do I have red and itchy face after eating? 2 days later
Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Sujoy Khan 38 minutes later
You are most welcome
Wishing you good health always.